The Arsenyev Primorye museum was founded in 1884 as the Museum of the Society for the Study of the Amur, and it brought together researchers, public figures, and collectors of the time. In 1890 the first building of the museum was opened to public.
The museum has about 600 thousand exhibits within the vaults; however, there are only 9 sites altogether.
Therefore, the permanent exhibitions, devoted to the history and culture of the city and region, are often combined with temporary rotating shows.In 2011, the interior space of the museum was rebuilt, and the exhibitions were supplemented with multimedia services. All halls are Wi-Fi enabled and photography is allowed and encouraged. The museum has become a modern cultural and educational platform. It hosts lectures, round tables, and so on.