Like most maritime cities, Vladivostok erects monuments dedicated not only to people, but also to ships. Perhaps the most interesting among them is the S-56 submarine.
The building of a diesel-electric Soviet S-class submarine S-56 (“S” stands for “Srednyaya”, which means “medium” in Russian) began in Leningrad (now known as St. Petersburg) and was completed in Vladivostok by the Dalzavod Ship Repair Center. She was launched and commissioned in October 1941. A year later, the sub made an unprecedented move for duty to the Northern Fleet — crossing both the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans.
Today the Soviet S-class submarine S-56 is one of the highlights of the “Military Glory of the Pacific Navy Fleet” memorial complex. It is also listed as a branch of the Military Historical Museum of the Pacific Navy Fleet, meaning that her service, despite decommissioning, continues. The original interior of the submarine’s central and bow compartments is well preserved, so one can see real sailors’ bunks, peer inside the torpedo tube, and look out through the periscope.